Our clinic offers osteopathic treatment, tailored to suit your individual story, to help alleviate the pains and discomforts felt during pregnancy and after birth.
We believe that pregnancy is the most amazing thing experienced by the body. This should be without pain or discomfort wherever possible. We love working with pregnant people through this stage of life, and feel privileged to play a small role in their journey.
Pregnancy is a time of enormous changes to the body which can result in discomfort, or even pain, as the months go by. This can occur even with no previous history of back pain and can make your pregnancy more difficult to enjoy. Many of the pains and strains felt in pregnancy are due to postural changes, hormonal changes, loosening of ligaments and reorganising of abdominal organs.
Common pregnancy related complaints include:
- Pelvic girdle pain
- Pubic pain
- Sciatic pain
- Low back, hip pain and coccyx pain
- Pelvic floor issues
- Neck, shoulder and upper back pain
- Rib pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Osteopathy can be a great tool in pregnancy, offering a safe way of treating the body to help with many of these symptoms (1,2,3). Gentle treatment can give relieve to the pregnant body as it helps to integrate the changes in orientation that occur through the growth of the baby.
It is also recommended to have osteopathic check up post birth to assist recovery in the pelvis, pelvic floor, lower back and shoulders. Osteopathy has been shown to give great relief to women suffering from back pain postpartum (5).
Here at Ferguson St Osteopathy we bring a passion for women’s and children’s health together with experience and a nurturing environment to offer a caring, personal experience for you and your baby.
Why Ferguson St Osteo?
- Experience with pregnancy
- Experience with children and infants
- Consultation length allows time for thorough, individualised care
- Birth education trained
- Consultations with midwives, lactation consultants and birth educators
- Strong interest in women’s health
- Gentle, versatile approach to treatment
- Comfortable atmosphere and friendly staff
- Q&A support between treatments – call, text, email, Facebook
- Convenient, easy to find location, easy parking
- Nurturing enviroment
- Quiet, calm, family friendly clinic
- Pram, disability friendly
- Breastfeeding and bottle feeding welcome
- Child play areas